Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Rang De Basanti

Finally, I got to see this movie... I should say that I liked it. I've been disturbed ever since I came back from the movie hall. Its not just the movie, its more about the way we react to things. I made it a point to observe all the faces coming out of the theatre. Sad... morose... just shades of the same basic emotion; but none angry.... I understand that this is microcosmic of the way our people as a nation react to things. We are a nation of defeatists.. we accept things the way they are; we know something is bad, but we also 'know' that nothing can be done about it. We are comfortable living with the known devil. This resigned attitude annoys me. Are we dead? Why cant we resist something that we know is injustice? Why dont we ever question?
I felt the surge of a deep rooted anger in me when I saw the movie. You might laugh at me for saying that. I give you that liberty... You might say that its just a movie.. nothing of that can happen in real;but in this, I beat you! It does...
I feel angry because I know that its not just a movie, because I remember the footage of the lathi charge in Bhopal of the peaceful protestors where Nity was getting beaten up and arrested (I called it romantic then!), because I remember that the zapatistas who are fighting against a government that sells their land and brands them as a threat to the nation, because I remember that the tribals of New Papua are killed mercilessly in trying to protect their mother forest, because I know that the tribals in Orissa are getting killed in the process of establishing their rights,because an innocent fisherman in a hamlet down south was asked to change his profession when he got an acid burn due to the callousness of the industry monsters, because I know that inspite of all this brutality there are people who dont give up and there are people who keep fighting it with all that they have,because I know that such things happen now, this very moment in some part of this country, in some part of the world and because I am bloody well able to see... Blame it on my senses!
And untill the rest of the society starts feeling angry, we shall make movies.. we shall feel sorry....

No comments: