Sunday, March 20, 2005

The indifferent college student-An insider's perspective

WARNING:This post was written in a moment of immense despair and a personal low.It might not be a good read for you, it might be crap. But to me, it signifies something that I went through.I do not want to erase it from my life just because it wasn't good. So this post stays put!


‘College!’-I have always fancied being in one when I was a school-going kid. The fun, the carefree days, the not having to wear uniforms – all these things that are inseparable from the image of college life were irresistible to me. All the mugging, tuitions, board exams, entrance exams, and finally, here I am in a professional college! I see all that I had expected and envisioned but I also see more…
Hey wait! There seems to be something odd about this place. Why do I feel like an alien here? Is it something with me or is it something with the rest of the people? The more I try to see what my peers see, the more blurred my vision gets. As I try to grope in the darkness, I see faint images of men and women all excited. The very little that I can hear of their conversation hardly helps me in comprehending the situation. ‘Hey guys, there’s this movie hitting the theatres today!’ ‘You know, he proposed last week. Lets party!!’ ‘ I got this new outfit which that actress sports in her new movie’. The pitch gets higher and higher and so does the excitement. Though I understand the words, I don’t seem to gather what they’re all excited about. Confused and perplexed, I come back to my room. The music is loud, there are Sheldons and tattered Mills and Boons strewn around, the tap in the wash is open and nobody seems to have a problem with the> overflowing water. ‘Oh God! What do I suffer from? I am so lost in this place’
Parents and friends from back home advise me to try and get along with my college mates. I put in all efforts and participate in their conversations, I go to movies with them, I try to party the way they do; but I always feel suffocated at the end of the day. I am unable to read the novels that they read, unable to discuss guys, love or movies for hours together. I end up having fights; get branded as a haughty person and ….I keep shifting rooms.
One fine day, I decide to stop trying and take sometime off. The mood is somber and that of retrospection. I realize some thing that I had failed to see all along. These people do not care for things happening around them. It doesn’t matter if people get killed, if their very own air and water get polluted; as long as it doesn’t happen to them, they really don’t care! And even if it is happening to them, they are not aware of it. As one of them puts it ‘I don’t care if thousands of people get killed in the process of me making money. I can’t go out of my way to help people live. Ultimately, if they survive and I don’t, it doesn’t make any sense!’ Their idea of helping the society is to donate some money and their old, torn clothes during natural calamities. There ends their social responsibility. To them, distributing sweets to orphaned kids is the best possible charity. I also realize that they have never been able to see what I see. I looked up these symptoms in my own medical dictionary and was really alarmed. These were the signs of an epidemic that could be highly detrimental to the society and the youngsters were a particularly vulnerable group. I scrolled down the page and found the name of this disease that they suffer from - 'Indifference!'
So after all, it was not me who was diseased all these days. Thank God, I am immune…

No comments: